Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - none of the above

On Sunday, 3 May 2015 23:24:17 UTC+1, Simon Brown wrote:
"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Simon Brown
wrote:

"Davey" wrote in message
On Sun, 3 May 2015 15:26:01 +0100
Chris French wrote:

.. which means the SNP might have an effective dominance over
England. Not good, nor fair.

Will depend on what coalition is formed. But coalitions tend to give
the smaller party(ies) greater influence than their size might
suggest cos the bigger party needs to keep them sweet.

The Labour Party veers wildly between "No deal with the SNP" to "We'll
deal with them on an ad hoc basis", giving me no confidence whatsoever.

Though most ISTM likely outcome will be another referendum sooner
rather than later, with a yes vote more likely
Just like the EU, keep asking until you get the right answer. Surely NO
meant NO? But again, my feeling is, let them go it alone, and see how
the finances work out, and don't come back asking for a bailout.

BTW, what does the SNP have against Trident?

The immense cost. Much better things to spend that sort of money on.

What would they replace it with,

Nothing. Trident doesn't stop anything from happening
except what that money can be spent on instead.

Yes it does. It stops Putin

No it does not. He has done what he wants to do regardless of
Trident and Trident has had no effect whatever on what he has
chosen to do, because he knows that Britain won't be using it.

You can't be sure of that, there are far too many varibles to what he or his country will do.

who is busy threatening people with nuclear attack.

He isn't that stupid and what stops him doing
that isn't Trident, its what the yanks have.

So you're saying he won't attack the UK because of the YANKS or because of the nuclear weapons they have ?

Had Russia settled down to be a proper democracy, that argument
wouldn't exist, but it hasn't and so the argument is, unfortunately,
valid.

No they are not with either Trident or what the yanks have either.

You can certainly make a case that what the yanks have has ensured
that no one with nuclear weapons has been stupid enough to use them,
that that has nothing whatever to do with Trident which never stopped
anything and was a complete waste of the money that was spent on it.

Maybe it's not trident itself but the fact we are in a nuclear 'pack' with the USA, who may well feel more inclined to help than the would if we had NO nuclear weapons.