Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris French Chris French is offline

Default Bathroom ponderings ...

In message , Andy
Burns writes
ARW wrote:

The area above zone 1 is outside the zones and therefore no specific IP
ratings apply.

Thanks.

Actually my 7'6" ceiling is under the 2.25m limit, and height will be
reduced a little more by tiling floor and cladding ceiling. so the
lights will be in zone 1, I'm not going to get hung-up on
technicalities, but I'll go with IP rated lights anyway.

If, as the wiki says,

"Lights placed in shower enclosures and directly over
baths in rooms with low ceilings will need to be SELV
and IPX6 or better."

then I'd expect such lights to be available, however I find that IP44,
IP64 and IP65 are what everyone sells, the latter is likely what I will
go with, but is the wiki actually right by claiming IPX6 is required?

No,

The regs only require IPX4 (or IPX5 if water jets will spray against
them)

See:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Firstlight/Zones.pdf

--