Posted to uk.d-i-y
harryagain[_2_] harryagain[_2_] is offline

Default OT-ish: "Powerwall" - will change the way the world uses energy

"Simon Brown" wrote in message

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 03/05/15 12:36, Simon Brown wrote:

Yes, you claimed 'they are with merit', that is wrong.

******** it is.

I just listed the merits.

Claimed them, actually.

You can go places,

You can with conventional cars too, far more
places much more conveniently in fact.

they are by all accounts a
very fun drive (judging by all the vids on Youtube).

If you don’t mind twiddling your thumbs for an hour
every 30 miles if you can even find a recharge point
if you drive them like that.

And they are quiet
and clean at the point of use.

Yes, but that doesn’t make up for the much less convenient recharging.

And the fact about having to plan
refuelling is going to lessen in fairly short order.

I don’t believe that, essentially because I don’t believe
it will ever sell enough of them to see that happen, for
the same reason you don’t have one, the price.

I want to rent one
for a couple of days, perhaps in America next year, just for giggles.
(Couldn't afford to rent for longer!).

Being "hideously expensive" does not mean they don't have merit.

The trouble is the only real merit they actually have is being
quiet and clean at point of use and that does not make up for
the massive downsides with charging and the need to very
carefully plan where to charge is and twiddling your thumbs
while that happens.

Yes if you only use it for a relatively short commute to work
and let it charge while you work and sleep it is quite viable,
but insanely expensive. And that is why it will never fly and
will see them go broke quite quickly.

The upside is that of giving you several more years life.
And a healthier life.

Who wants a car that makes a farting noise all the time?