Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default OT-ish: "Powerwall" - will change the way the world uses energy

On 02/05/2015 23:39, Chris French wrote:
In message , alan_m
writes
On 02/05/2015 10:49, Lobster wrote:

In essence yes, though the batteries aren't the same as in the cars
apparently, the chemistry has been tweaked to suit this application (the
car batteries are more suited to lots of cycling).

Are not these batteries going to be fully deep cycled at least once a day?

There is a 10 year battery warranty apparently

For the original full performance or for some arbitrary performance such
as 30/50% capacity at the end of 10 years? Is it a bit like a car
warranty where the brake and clutch parts may be guaranteed against
manufacturing defects but if you use your car normally they become fair
wear and tear items?

I guess they are aiming for cheaper batteries in the future, Tesla are
building a big factory, what they call a Gigafctory in Nevada to produce
batteries. Which they claim will reduce the cost by 30%

So the price comes down to 2K dollars, excluding installation costs. At
what price point does solar again become free?

Yes, I do realise that green doesn't mean free. It's about saving the
planet using a magic bucket of everlasting money raised by normal and
stealth taxation.

Consumer applications in the uk are a bit limited I think. I imagine the
early customers will be people with solar systems (which I imagine makes
more sense in California or where ever)

The Californian model works for a lot of these technologies but possible
not transferable to colder climates - with the same
performances/efficiencies.