Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff[_2_] Brian Gaff[_2_] is offline

Default OT-ish: "Powerwall" - will change the way the world uses energy

No it won't catch on until its longer lived. It needs batteries to be more
robust and long lived.

I often wonder if solar panels have been accelerated life tested? I know
they are used on spacecraft, but one has to assume these are pretty
ruggedised and reliable devices, as you won't get many service engineers out
there.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"alan_m" wrote in message
On 02/05/2015 10:49, Lobster wrote:

Thoughts? Shall I go and buy a PowerWall then?!

Isn't it just conventional battery technology packaged in a different way?
The cost effectiveness will depend on the initial cost of the device (£3K)
and how long before you have to replace it (a 1000 charge/discharge cycles
in 3 years?)

I see no quoted figures for efficiency.

The success of the project seems to be dependant on _Government_ subsidies
for green energy and the falling price of Lithium. In the UK there are no
Government subsidies - just the 15% green/social tax on all our
gas/electricity bills.