Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Royal announcement

On 02/05/15 22:59, DJC wrote:
On 02/05/15 18:38, wrote:
On Saturday, 2 May 2015 17:46:22 UTC+1, Huge wrote:
A country that aspires to being a 21st C democracy should not
have a hereditary head of state. End of debate.

What's so great about being a 21st C democracy that we should aspire
to it?

+1

Democracy: give every idiot a vote and get every idion for a government.

You only have to read the online comment section of a newspaper (any
paper, not just the DM or the Sun) to realise Chuchill had a point.

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with
the average voter."

But what can you do? Democracy is right, fundamentally. And some people
really are thick.

The correct answer IMO is better education and better broadcasting
(including online and printed).

Take out the dross and make newspapers print useful info rather than
dross about who's shagging who.

But then you have a problem with "freedom of the press".

Tricky - I have no solution that ticks all the boxes...