Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default OTish; Laptops

On 02/05/2015 23:59, John Rumm wrote:
On 30/04/2015 11:47, Bod wrote:
On 30/04/2015 11:21, Simon Brown wrote:

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
On 29/04/2015 22:16, Simon Brown wrote:

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Time has come to replace the tower PC with a laptop, so I'm after
some
advice from the learned people here, since I'm a computer numpty.

I'm looking for something around 16". I don't play games (only
solitaire) I don't watch films or download music. Don't want a
touchscreen, much prefer keyboard/mouse.

I use Word & Excel frequently, sometime quite big documents. I surf
the
net often & use e-mail a lot. We have 4G WiFi at home, probably
won't
ever take it out, but will use upstairs in the office, on the deck &
downstairs in the lounge.

Reluctant to change from MS Windows simply because I know how to
use it.

Any advice on processor type, memory, make, supplier much
appreciated.

Another probably daft question.

What do the panel think of Chromebooks?

Much more limited than a laptop.

Could you elaborate please :-)

You can't run most of the software that will run on a laptop.

They are basically web browsing machines, very limited.

This is kind of the selling point...

A very simple to use device, that works - does all the basics, and you
don't need to worry about keeping software up to date, running anti
virus software etc or any of the other drudgery associated with "more
capable" platforms.

You are just relying on google doing a good job at avoiding software
problems.. a shame there has been more exploitable code in chrome than
in IE for the last couple of years.