Posted to uk.d-i-y
harryagain[_2_] harryagain[_2_] is offline

Default OT-ish: "Powerwall" - will change the way the world uses energy

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article , harryagain
wrote:

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher writes:
On 02/05/15 14:15, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Robin" writes:
Davey wrote:
What do they use for those
long-range satellites, like Voyager?

The Voyager satelllites used the heat from radioactiuve decay of
plutonium and thermocouples. It wasn't weapons grade plutonium but
if
you tried that at home I think you'd soon make some new acquaintances
early one morning

There's only enough Plutonium-238 left in the world for a handfull
of satellites - US has enough for 3 (bought from Russia, having run
out of its own stock), and Russia probably has around the same amount
itself. This is severely limiting the ability to plan future long
term space missions.

we can always make more if we want to

That might be happening, but I heard it would take until 2021 to make
enough for 1 extra space mission if we started last year.

Total drivel.
There is a surplus off the now useless stuff from decomissioned nuclear
weapons.

That is not Pu-238. Do keep up harry.

Useless stuff in all it's forms/isotopes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plutonium#Applications

Note.
All plans to get rid of it.
Would not be considered under normal circumstances.