Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris French Chris French is offline

Default OT - none of the above

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On 2 May 2015 10:29:29 GMT, David wrote:

You can always spoil your paper by writing in a "NOTA" candidate.

Such
spoiled papers have to be shown to the candidates so they can

agree it
is not a valid vote.

However they are unlikely to be included in the voting results - spoiled
papers can be an accident.

Pretty sure they'll be included in the full results that the
Returning Officer produces. The media on the other hand don't bother
to report them.

If you really want a "None of the above" then simply make voting
compulsory as it is in Australia(?).

As to who to vote for. Assuming this is for your MP, vote for the
person that actually represents and fights for the constituency and
doesn't just sit on their fat arse being whipped.

Depends on the constituency.

If you live in a constituency which is a safe seat for one party - like
ours, which is strongly conservative (neighbouring seat to Majors old
one) then is essence, if you don't want to vote for them, who you vote
for makes no difference to who will be the MP.

The best really your vote can do is send some sort of message (FWIW).

However, this is shaping up to be the most interesting election for
sometime, and the aftermath could be quite significant in the long term
- the SNP dominating Scotland, the inability of Tories and labour to win
a majority and hence giving more power to smaller parties (if the same
situation occurs in 5 years time I suspect we will see real pressure for
changes to the voting system
--
Chris French