Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT-ish: "Powerwall" - will change the way the world uses energy

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 02/05/2015 14:26, Chris French wrote:

If electric vehicle use increases (and I think it will) then it will be
come normal to have parking spaces with a charge point - as you already
find in quite a few places

But the cost will not be pennies for the charge. When there are a million
charging points the Government may think its a good way of raising tax
income.

Yup, because it's an appropriate technology for some uses. It's not
appropriate for others, Hence the variety of batteries that have been
devloped over the years

But some battery technologies are not practically scalable. I guess there
must have been a fortune spent researching batteries for hand help
portable equipment but so far they haven't found anything that can run a
modern smart phone for more than a day or two per charge.

That last is just plain wrong. Perfectly doable with the current battery
technology.

The problem is the mindless obsession with thinness means that
there isn't enough room in the phone for a decent sized battery.
Trivial to have one external to the phone tho.