Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OTish; Laptops

On 02/05/15 17:40, Huge wrote:
On 2015-05-02, Bill wrote:

My impression remains that Apple is good if you want reliable hardware
and software for a limited range of applications, but it is expensive.
Linux is fine for heavy duty stuff - servers, backups etc., but there
are no drivers for many types of peripheral for the laptops.

I'm afraid your impression is wrong, and has been for several years.

In the recent (last few weeks) I've plugged the following into my Linux
(Mint 17) machine;

- HP OfficeJet 4620
- Blackberry Z10
- Tomtom Satnav
- Garmin Satnav
- External USB disk(s)
- Several USB memory sticks
- Logitech Webcam
- Belkin Wifi dongle
- Bluetooth dongle
- Nikon DSLR (two different ones)

And it's all "just worked". No "downloading drivers", no manufacturers disk,
just plug it in and switch it on.

Admittedly I did have to install the drivers for my Epson V300 scanner, which
took, ooh, 30 seconds to do. Download the files. Double click on them. Done.

I spent 3 minuets finding and 30 seconds installing software to read an
exfat formatted usb drive...