Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxxx Fredxxx is offline

Default OTish; Laptops

On 02/05/2015 15:12, Tim Watts wrote:
On 02/05/15 14:35, Fredxxx wrote:
On 02/05/2015 14:11, Tim Watts wrote:
On 02/05/15 13:38, Bod wrote:

What do I do when all of a sudden I need an important document in the
cloud and I am not connected to the internet? Very frustrating.

That's not really the Chromebook's fault though - apples and oranges.
This could happen with any laptop and you left your stuff a) on a work
server; b) on your home server; c) in the cloud.

But I would prefer a device that has the option for lots of local
storage and 100% sync of certain file trees.

Also, to upload stuff on my 0.7Mbs upload connection to the cloud would
take ages. Inconvenient.
My 8" tablet is far more versatile and useful than any Chromebook and
only cost me £129.
You can buy a half decent *proper* laptop for about £200 or less, so
why
would anyone want to restrict themselves by buying a Chromebook?

Convenience probably.

I'm looking at one for the kids schoolwork as it's cheaper (less loss if
it gets damaged) and less hassle for me to manage.

Why not desktop? More rugged, and modular.

Doesn't really travel to school too well...

Well, and there's me thinking that schools banned mobile phones! What
are they going to allow next?

Coffee on keyboard ...................

But I will be adding the SFTP client so they can access all the music
and photos on our home server.

And their schoolwork?