Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OTish; Laptops

On 02/05/15 16:15, Bill wrote:
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
since just about the only reason most people buy Windows is to get
Word compatibility, if they go libre office they might as well install
linux from the get go.

Not true for many of the people I know. The big argument for Windows is
the flexibility and adaptability, especially when used for anything
slightly outside the box.
I don't know of anything else that has the availability of internal and
external expansion devices with drivers that work, plus the fact that
often someone, somewhere will have written a program that nearly does
what you want.

Er... You just described linux...

And my HP printer worked without installing 400GB of crap. Unlike windows

My impression remains that Apple is good if you want reliable hardware
and software for a limited range of applications, but it is expensive.
Linux is fine for heavy duty stuff - servers, backups etc., but there
are no drivers for many types of peripheral for the laptops.

That is completely untrue.

All my laptops have worked fine and have no trouble talking to the
peripherals I plug in. About the only issue I have is sometimes suspend
goes doolally.

Most people I know run a Windows desktop or laptop and an Android tablet
or iPad. My Android phablets are great, with GPS, all the normal things
like bluetooth, access to email and newsgroups, plus the ability to text
if the phone is flat.

Do Chromebooks provide a decent newsreader?

Good question. Well, thunderbird if you stick linux in Crouton. Apps?
Does not seem to be...