Posted to uk.d-i-y
Davey Davey is offline

Default OT-ish: "Powerwall" - will change the way the world uses energy

On Sat, 2 May 2015 14:26:07 +0100
Chris French wrote:

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
Tesla have a track record in such batteries, with their Roadster
car.

Oh indeed. Both the examples they supplied broke down on the Top
Gear test track. To the point where the test had to be abandoned.

A replacement battery pack costs about $30,000. Like all Li-ion,
mustn't be allowed to run flat.

Surely the car's systems manage the battery so that it doesn't go to
flat?

Which means in practice the car has to have
regular use

don't follow that.

and left on charge when not

Probably not a great problem, as long as you have drive/garage to
park the car, or somewhere to park with a charge point it at the
other end.

Though for the likely uses cases for elec cars at the moment, people
will probably just drive to and from work and then recharge over night

. Great if you wish to leave it at
the airport when going off on holiday.

If electric vehicle use increases (and I think it will) then it will
be come normal to have parking spaces with a charge point - as you
already find in quite a few places

When stopped at a service area in Germany in March, I noticed an area
specifically designated for electric cars that needed recharging. Each
parking spot had a chargepoint provided. Recharge the car, go get a
meal, recharge yourself.

--
Davey.