Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OTish fibre broadband,home networking etc

On 02/05/15 09:10, Stephen wrote:
On 01/05/2015 18:01, charles wrote:
In article ,
News wrote:
In message , Mike Tomlinson
writes
En el artículo , News
escribió:

Thinking aloud here. There are various options.

Options are a Good Thing.

And responses from uk.d-i-y are an Even Better Thing :-)

Right. You all say extend the CAT5 not the BT line, so that is the way
forward. Just to clarify, the main BT socket is in a bedroom. It was
in a porch with a leaking roof, and was a mess. The line terminated in
one of those brown GPO junction boxes with two rows of six terminals,
from there to the main socket, which was unused (who has a phone in a
porch?) and from there to a slave socket. When we bought cordless
phones, I disconnected the cable from the junction box, and found it was
just long enough to enter a bedroom without any splicing, so fed it in
there and reattached the junction box and master socket, ignoring the
slave sockets.

First step will be to run CAT5 from the router (modem/router/network
switch/access point) which will be in the bedroom, beside the main BT
socket, outside and down to room containing son's desktop. Once that
works, I'll think about a second access point, but having read a little,
that involves scary stuff like IP addresses and netmasks and other
incomprehensibles.

Of course, this also involves putting plugs on CAT5, which is even more
scary. I do have the kit, and even a tester, but last time, it took me
about three tries at each end :-)

Don't put plugs on . Terminate the cable in a wall socket. Then run a
short pre-made lead to the socket. Much easier and more flexible for
then
future.

Plus 1.

installing solid cat5e/6 to wall sockets and a patch panel with a krone
punch down tool is by far easier to do than make your own patch cables
running from router to computers.

No matter how hard I tried, I every patch cable I made had some issue
with it so I now use pre-made patch cables, mostly from CPC. An added
bonus is that they come in different colours so if you want to run more
than one network then the colours help if all the patch [anels are in
the same place.

The secret is to buy the plugs with the wire bridge:

http://www.oc3an.com/media/catalog/p...r/j/rj54_1.jpg

(Ignore the shileding, you can get the plugs in plain old Cat5e UTP grade).

It makes it very easy to get it right.

FOr instance I use
blue for wireless network
Green for internal intranet
yellow for the DMZ (demilitarised zone)
red for WAN (wide area network which for me is the internet from
Virginmedia into my firewall.

Another bonus is that I can repurpose a wall socket to become a
telephone socket by putting adapters at the patch panel and wall socket
(provided you have run a phone line to the loft)

I actrually have a patch panel for phopne lines directly above the patch
panel for the wall sockets so use a white pre-made patch cable to link
fron one patch panel to the other, so I only need one adapter at the
wall socket.