Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OTish fibre broadband,home networking etc

On Fri, 1 May 2015 16:16:03 +0100, News wrote:

First step will be to run CAT5 from the router (modem/router/network
switch/access point) which will be in the bedroom, beside the main BT
socket, outside and down to room containing son's desktop. Once that
works, I'll think about a second access point, but having read a little,
that involves scary stuff like IP addresses and netmasks and other
incomprehensibles.

Shouldn't do. Just buy a small network switch put it somewhere that
makes getting cables to it from the end points required as easy as
possible. The end points being the modem router, sons PC, your and
wifeys laptops and possibly an access point.

Just run a cable from each endpoint back to the switch and plug into
a free port, same for the cable from the modem/router. These days
switches and devices automatically sort themselves out, no need for
uplink ports or crossover cables.

Of course, this also involves putting plugs on CAT5, which is even more
scary. I do have the kit, and even a tester, but last time, it took me
about three tries at each end :-)

You need more practice. Strip 1 1/2 to 2" of outer jacket off,
untwist each pair starting with orange, green, blue, brown and
flatten/position each wire into the correct order forming a dense,
flat and parallel set of wires fairly close to where they merge from
the jacket. Trim straight across just over 1/2" from the jacket
maintaining the formation. Slip into plug making sure that each wire
slides fully down the right hole, crimp.

Note that there are two types of plug or rather the IPC part. One is
designed for stranded (patch) cable the other for solid
(installation) cable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular...s_and_contacts

Not that I've had any problems with the stranded type on solid cable.
But these are all connections that once pluged in stay that way for
months if not years.

--
Cheers
Dave.