Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default OTish fibre broadband,home networking etc

In article ,
News wrote:
In message , Mike Tomlinson
writes
En el artículo , News
escribió:

You say wireless is no good due to the walls - you can install more than
one access point, you know.

Indeed, and I have at least two spare routers.

Thinking aloud here. There are various options. To summarise. BT main
socket is upstairs, connected directly to cable coming in from roof.
Router is plugged directly into BT main socket, and self and wife can
pick up an acceptable wi-fi signal everywhere downstairs. Son's desktop
needs a cable from router to PC.

1. Just buy a wireless dongle for son's desktop, and leave everything
else alone.

2. Extend the CAT5 downstairs, and either hardwire son's desktop
directly, or install a second access point.

3. Extend the CAT5 downstairs, and just move the original router
downstairs, and hardwire son's desktop, with self and wifey picking up
wi-fi.

4. Move the main (and only) BT socket downstairs, and move router with
it.

Which is best - extending the BT socket, or extending the CAT5? Or does
it make little practical difference to overall download speeds? I have
sufficient BT and CAT5 cable to do either.

You can't (or at least may not) move the BT socket.

The best solution, as installed here, is to run a CAT5 cable from an output
of the router to your son's room. It can, like mine, go outdoors if that
makes an easier cable run

--
From KT24 in Surrey

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18