Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Synthetic fuel from green energy - News

On 2015-05-01, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 01/05/15 08:31, Simon Brown wrote:

"Dennis@home" wrote in message
web.com...
On 01/05/2015 00:23, Simon Brown wrote:

I'd say the real breakthroughs there the transistor, and after that the
integrated circuit.

Sure, but other stuff like VisiCalc was too. So was Linux.

Linux was and still is just a copy of something that already existed,

No it was not.

its hardly a breakthrough to copy something.

Linux isn't a copy of anything.

It is a reverse engineered Unix, deliberately rewritten to avoid
copyright issues.

Unix was the real invention, not Linux.

W-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-ellll.

Unix was itself derived from a previous O/S, Multics.

I am well aware of that. Unix was an evolution, not a revolution.

Perhaps the first operating system, and the first high level programming
languages were revolution, but even there, machine code-
assembler-macro assembler - computer language is a fairly smooth
evolutionary path as is libraries - resident libraries - operating
system...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix#History

And that wasn't done in a shed either.

But that's true enough.