Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Synthetic fuel from green energy - News

In article ,
charles wrote:
And, of course, the whole point of this is they ain't chemically
identical. Which is why it's wrong to call it diesel.

but - "diesel" is the "comprssion ignition" cycle* that the engine runs
with. It's not the fuel used - except by association.

- named after Herr Diesel its inventor.

Quite. And one of the beauties of the CI engine is it can run on a variety
of fuels. So are we just to call them all by the same name?

If so, why bother with the name biodiesel if it is just plain diesel?

Why bother with the name Shell/Esso/Texaco/BP V power diesel when its
just plain diesel?

Do we call the fuel used for a hydrogen powered car petrol because the
engine is basically the same? Why bother with LPG if petrol would do?