Posted to uk.d-i-y
harryagain[_2_] harryagain[_2_] is offline

Default Synthetic fuel from green energy - News

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article , harryagain
wrote:

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
In article , Tim w
wrote:

On 28/04/2015 21:17, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Tim w

On 28/04/15 19:46, alan_m wrote:
On 28/04/2015 17:24, Capitol wrote:

It looks like snake oil. The efficiency of the process is not
mentioned. What is the cost per litre of production?

And how much energy is required in the production? I also suspect
that
the "direct air capture" is a heavily subsidised processes looking
for a
market for the output.

Its just more technobollox trying to keep the green wet dream alive.

Like all green****e, its technically possible and commercially
catastrophic.

People like you with no vision, no faith and no hope for the future
are living walking tragedies.

Well that may be true but doesn't alter reality. Reality isn't
interested in faith, hope, or vision.

That kind of wilful ignorance is just dumb posturing. I take it you have
some kind of education? and know something about history, culture and
the world. You know that Coleridge didn't take up poetry because he
thought it would be an easy way to earn a few Bob? You know that Fascism
wasn't defeated in Europe by people dreaming of a world of ready-meals
and Ant and Dec? That the great acheivements of humanity like the
emancipation of slaves and the eradication of smallpox were all
victories fought by people who didn't accept the shallow, complacent
wisdom that said 'That's just the reality'? But still you pretend you
can't see beyond your own nose and that change in the world is driven by
the relentless petty choices of small minded people always selecting the
cheapest option. You know it isn't. Change comes about through vision
and imagination and belief in our ability to bring it about. You know
that already.

Apart from the eradication of smallpox, everything you are describing
concerns human actions. You do something, or you don't; you make a
choice. Even the eradication of smallpox, now I come to think of it, in
fact falls into that category. That happened because it was technically
and practically possible, and because of an act of will on the part of
the WHO. In principle, you could eradicate the common house fly, too,
except that would most likely be impractical.

The sort of stuff that you seem to be talking about, however, is *not*
technically possible. Things in that category will *never* get done,
regardless of how much "vision", "faith", or any other damn human
emotion there is to bolster up the "hope". You want an everyday car
running only on solar power, with batteries perhaps for night use? Not
possible. Not possible however much research money, or indeed "faith",
you throw at it. That's the sort of thing I'm talking about.

Yes well lots of things were impossible to the brain dead in the past.
Steam locomotives, motorcars, heavier than air flight, supersonic flight,
space flight, radio, photography. television, computers, jet engine,
microprocessors etc etc.

Er no, they weren't impossible harry. Thass the point. None of these
breaks any physical law. Possibly, if some natural philosopher in the
18thC was asked about some of these, he'd might have said "May be
possible but we don't know enough about nature to say one way or the
other" but that's *all* he could have said. A 100 years or so later he
might have said "Yes we broadly speaking understand how to do this but
we can't build a vessel strong enough (or light enough, or whatever) to
make the item in question a *practical* proposition.

After all, planes flew in the early 20thC. Didn't mean that the
following Tuesday fortnight they'd be rolling out the A380. Equally,
only a fool might have said that heavier-than-air flight was
impossible. Unless they believed that birds flew by magic, of course.

The difference is that too many of today's idiots believe in magic or
that a bit of development ought to allow us to have solar panels that
could go on the roof of the car or a plane's wings so that the
car/plane needs no other energy source.

Well one already exists.
What you don't realise is that if some technology could be found to reduce
drag sufficiently, then it wuld be easily possible.

They were impossible to most people.
eg There were windmills in the ancient Middle East.
Only now they are approaching anything like their full potenial.

People back then were as ignorant as some here today.
Most thought that all knowledge came from the bible.
ie, the only manned heavier than air flight possible was angels (held aloft
by the holy spirit.)
And the Earth was flat and seven thousand years old.
And lead could be "transmuted" to gold with the "philosopher's stone".

People were burned to death for believing otherwise.
And it was Leonardo da Vinci designed the first aircraft including
helicopters.
He could have been burned for that too.
A model aircraft has been found in an ancient Egyptian tomb.

TurNiP is one of these people who would burn people for not believing in the
nuclear myth/God.