Posted to uk.d-i-y
News News is offline

Default OTish fibre broadband,home networking etc

In message , Andy
Burns writes
News wrote:

Today is the day our high speed broadband went live. I got 44Mbps
earlier this morning, same for Wifey. Our son, though, struggles to get
3Mbps download - but 12Mbps upload, which seems odd.

First, I'd temporarily plug your machine, and your son's machine direct
into the router with a cat5, unplig the powerline stuff then do a
speedtest on each

Right Guys, you have all said the same thing. I do have more than
enough CAT5 cable, but only in two pieces. Yes, I have a joiner but can
I find it? Not a chance.

Plan B. Found a reel of phone cable, which enabled me to bring the
router down to his desktop. A bit of a bodge, but it works. Son's
speed immediately shot up to 44Mbps, hard wired to the router. Hard
wired Wifey's laptop, and she almost had an orgasm. 74Mbps. My little
Tosh shows 25Mbps, but that is probably because the other two are so
excited they're trying YouTube, games and all sorts.

So, the answer is obviously some hard wiring, or at the least move the
main BT socket downstairs, to be next to son's desktop. The good news
is I now know exactly what the problem is, and how to fix it.

Interestingly, the homeplugs are now all unplugged, and I have just
disconnected CAT5 from Wifey's laptop and my netbook, so we're both
picking up wireless direct from the router (which is now closer than it
used to be). My speed it 20, Wifey's is 36, but her laptop has always
picked up a better signal than my netbook. Assuming I can properly wire
the router where it is now, we may be able to live without the
homeplugs.

Thank you all, as ever :-)
--
Graeme