Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default OTish fibre broadband,home networking etc

In article ,
News wrote:

Today is the day our high speed broadband went live. I got 44Mbps
earlier this morning, same for Wifey. Our son, though, struggles to get
3Mbps download - but 12Mbps upload, which seems odd.

We use homeplugs (yeah, I know) because solid, thick granite walls
completely bollix wireless signals. Router is connected directly to BT
main socket, and feeds a homeplug. There is another homeplug in the
kitchen, to which our (self and wife) laptops connect, wirelessly.

Son is in another room, and his desktop is hard wired to another
homeplug, yet our downloads are far faster than his.

My little Tosh netbook is W98, Wifey Tosh laptop W7 and son desktop W8.1

Why might son's download connection be so slow?

I suppose I could buy a long CAT5 cable and connect his desktop directly
to router? We have swapped the homeplugs around, but son's connection
remains poor.

The home wiring does affect things. If some home plugs are on different
circuits this might be why there is the problem. Short of rewiring then
house, I think a bit of CAT5 is going to be the answer.

--
From KT24 in Surrey

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18