Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plastic sleeve for interior of old clay soil pipe - about 100mm

On 29/04/15 14:37, James Harris wrote:
Anyone know of a plastic sleeve product which will go inside an old clay
soil pipe? As far as I can tell the old pipe has about a 4" internal
diameter.

Details: I have come across an old soil pipe which is very badly
cracked - at least to the parts that I can see - and has small roots
growing in to it through the cracks. The ideal thing would be to replace
it with a new one but parts of the existing pipe are fairly inaccessible
without going to a lot of extra cost and would require damage to an
internal tiled floor that I may not be able to match with replacement
tiles.

So I wondered if it was possible to buy a plastic internal sleeve for
such old pipes. The idea is that the sleeve would support the walls of
the existing pipe, stop water leaking through the cracks, and provide a
good end to join on to the subsequent pipe.

That's the idea. Is there any product for a problem such as this? Unless
it is flexible I would only need a short length - say less than 2 feet.

James

A professional company can line the inside with an epoxy soaked sleeve
(inverse bandage) - this is held in place by a balloon until set. It is
a standard drain repair method where direct access is undesirable.