Posted to uk.d-i-y
Davey Davey is offline

Default OTish; Laptops

On Wed, 29 Apr 2015 15:44:29 +0100
"Dennis@home" wrote:

On 29/04/2015 10:55, JoeJoe wrote:
Time has come to replace the tower PC with a laptop, so I'm after
some advice from the learned people here, since I'm a computer
numpty.

I'm looking for something around 16". I don't play games (only
solitaire) I don't watch films or download music. Don't want a
touchscreen, much prefer keyboard/mouse.

I use Word & Excel frequently, sometime quite big documents. I
surf the net often & use e-mail a lot. We have 4G WiFi at home,
probably won't ever take it out, but will use upstairs in the
office, on the deck & downstairs in the lounge.

Reluctant to change from MS Windows simply because I know how to
use it.

Any advice on processor type, memory, make, supplier much
appreciated.

Not sure if it has already been mentioned, but also worth
considering is what version of operating system (i.e. Windows) the
laptop comes with. Buying it separately or upgrading later is very
expensive.

I personally wouldn't touch Windows 8 (or 8.1 - the current offering
with pretty much all Windows-based laptops). Windows 10 that is
supposed to be much better is due sometime in the summer. I am
planning to buy a laptop as well, and am holding back until then.

There isn't any point in missing a bargain if you see one, win 8.1
works fine and the upgrade to win 10 is free later this year.

If it's worth buying anyway, you can always buy it and then put Linux
on it as well as keeping the Windows OS.
Than you can slowly ignore the Windows.....

--
Davey.