Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default OTish; Laptops

On 29/04/2015 10:55, JoeJoe wrote:
Time has come to replace the tower PC with a laptop, so I'm after some
advice from the learned people here, since I'm a computer numpty.

I'm looking for something around 16". I don't play games (only
solitaire) I don't watch films or download music. Don't want a
touchscreen, much prefer keyboard/mouse.

I use Word & Excel frequently, sometime quite big documents. I surf the
net often & use e-mail a lot. We have 4G WiFi at home, probably won't
ever take it out, but will use upstairs in the office, on the deck &
downstairs in the lounge.

Reluctant to change from MS Windows simply because I know how to use it.

Any advice on processor type, memory, make, supplier much appreciated.

Not sure if it has already been mentioned, but also worth considering is
what version of operating system (i.e. Windows) the laptop comes with.
Buying it separately or upgrading later is very expensive.

I personally wouldn't touch Windows 8 (or 8.1 - the current offering
with pretty much all Windows-based laptops). Windows 10 that is
supposed to be much better is due sometime in the summer. I am planning
to buy a laptop as well, and am holding back until then.

There isn't any point in missing a bargain if you see one, win 8.1 works
fine and the upgrade to win 10 is free later this year.