Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Pounder Esquire Mr Pounder Esquire is offline

Default OTish; Laptops

"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Time has come to replace the tower PC with a laptop, so I'm after some
advice from the learned people here, since I'm a computer numpty.

Have you actually thought this through?

I have a decent laptop and a desktop. The laptop is (obviously) useful
where I need a portable device, but I far prefer the desktop for general
use.

Reasons? Bigger and better screen, full sized keyboard and proper mouse.
Of course you could add all those to a laptop - but then it is no longer
portable. Other thing is a desktop is easy to repair/extend etc, a laptop
usually not.

I converted to laptops for work a few years ago (maybe 7 or 8? I'm on the
second one now).

The keyboard, mouse and monitor are all there at my desk, and if I want to
work or use the computer somewhere else (which I do about half the time) I
unplug and just use the laptop. This works well.

Extending things is no longer something I need to worry about - I have
upgraded the memory on the laptop, but that's easy, and it came with all
the ports I need. Repair - so far one keyboard (not liquid damage!), which
was fairly easy.

For me, desktops no longer have any point.

I like my 22" screen and 5.1 speakers.
The laptop is in a case under my desk. I think ...