Ray L. Volts

Default HDTV: the end for servicers?

Who among you has determined to close the doors to your shop once HDTV
broadcast is mandated in 2008 (or is that 2006, they keep changing their
damn minds)?
I was just curious how many people this move will drive right out of
business due to the burdens placed on them -- i.e., all new test equipment
must be purchased for the new format; ever-worsening support from
manufacturers; the new and increasingly more reliable, lower-power display
technologies in the not-too-distant future.

Despite all the bunk I keep reading in ES&T about NESDA & NARDA working with
manufacturers to make the market more servicer-friendly, I continue to find
the reverse seems to be the case, and fully expect it to only get worse.

How many of you actually see a bright future in servicing consumer
electronics?