Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default OTish; Laptops

On 26/04/2015 16:04, dennis@home wrote:
Martin Brown Wrote in message:
Time has come to replace the tower PC with a laptop, so I'm after some
advice from the learned people here, since I'm a computer numpty.

I'm looking for something around 16". I don't play games (only
solitaire) I don't watch films or download music. Don't want a
touchscreen, much prefer keyboard/mouse.

I use Word & Excel frequently, sometime quite big documents. I surf the
net often & use e-mail a lot. We have 4G WiFi at home, probably won't
ever take it out, but will use upstairs in the office, on the deck &
downstairs in the lounge.

Reluctant to change from MS Windows simply because I know how to use it.

You have left it a bit late to get a new portable with Windows 7 on it
and I reckon you should look long and very hard at Windows 8 before
contemplating using it without a touch screen (or using it at all).

Just load classic start and forget that its windows 8.

Agreed

It's just better than 7 once you know how to use it.

Not so sure TBH... there are some bits of "touchiness" that you can't
make go away completely that make it a bit of a pain on the desktop
still. (the main irritation I find is the "networks" panel that drifts
in from the side of the screen for connecting to a VPN etc).

So far 10 looks even better.

I would hope so!

--
Cheers,