Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill[_18_] Bill[_18_] is offline

Default OTish; Laptops

In message , News
writes
Laptops are heavier than you may think. Wifey has a Tosh which she
loves, but keeps a table to support the laptop as it is too heavy for
her lap, for extended periods.

I use a Toshiba netbook (NB200), and I love it. Smaller than a proper
laptop, but I can happily keep it balanced on my knee for hours. My
only concession to practicality is a plug in USB laser mouse, because I
don't like touchpads. I use the mouse on the arm of the chair. Being
fairly small, I can, and do, pick it up and take anywhere, even the
shed. Battery is old, but still good for several hours. Can carry it
easily (with mouse plugged in) with one hand. Wifey uses both hands to
carry her laptop.

I have a Toshiba NB100 and hate it. It's OK in the Disco hooked up to
the webcam that looks at the tow hitch to ease coupling up, and it is
small and light, but the keyboard and touchpad are hopeless for my
fingers.
I still keep it simply because these Ubuntu ones go for pennies, if at
all, on ebay. Oh, and a mouse is hopeless in the driving seat of a car.
The only surface is a leg.
There's no comparison with my Acer Aspire 2920 (heavier but has a built
in DVD) or Lenovo X201 (almost as light). Both these are full laptops
with good screens, pads and keyboards.

I do realise that this is nothing like what Dave actually thought he
wanted.
--
Bill