Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Age-Related Aches and Pains

On Mon, 27 Apr 2015 09:19:22 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Mon, 27 Apr 2015 08:19:12 +0100, MM wrote:

Even here there is a story to be told! At Aldi I buy either their Both
In One bread, which is a rip-off of Best of Both by Hovis. However,
Aldi also sell Kingsmill 50/50,

Normally get the Kingsmill 50/50 as that is what I'm told to buy.
Hovis Best of Both is not as nice and I agree. Is the Aldi Both in
One just a different wrapper on a Hovis Best of Both?

No. The Aldi version is slightly thicker and has 96 cals per slice
compared to Best of Both which has 87 cals per slice. I nearly always
eat my bread toasted, however, and I can't tell the difference.

BiO or 50/50, and the winner is always... not the price, but the use
by date! Sometimes (mostly, in fact), Kingsmill has a longer use by
date and I'll happily pay the extra 20 pence.

You pay attention to dates on food?

Absolutely. ALL the time. It's a religion with me.

So half a loaf would go in the
bin at Use By +1? With bread if it's not going green and furry it's
good enough for toast at the very least. B-)

No, no, I check the dates in order to decide which one to buy (may not
be bread; might be a completely different product). But I'm not going
to buy a loaf that has its use by date as the same day or one day
later. It has to have at least THREE days' useful life. If there are
one or two slices left over three days after the use by date, they go
on the bird table as breadcrumbs. If I can be bothered, I'll split a
loaf and put half in the freezer. But bread takes up a lot of space,
and the birds always make me chuckle.

MM