Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OTish; Laptops

On Monday, 27 April 2015 11:59:09 UTC+1, Theo Markettos wrote:
Davey wrote:
On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 14:20:44 +0100
Bill wrote:

In passing, I ought to say that I hate numeric keypads on laptops. On
all the ones I've tried, the touchpad always seems to be in the wrong
place in relation to the keyboard/screen etc.

Are you saying that the touchpad interferes with the keypad? I have had
no such problems with this Samsung, but I have had touchpad problems
with other laptops I have used.
Or do you mean something different?

I'd guess he means that the touchpad is aligned with the spacebar. But the
spacebar and the QWERTY bit isn't centred on the laptop because of the
keypad, so both QWERTY and touchpad are off-centre on the left, like this:
http://www.whitegadget.com/attachmen...led-keypad.jpg

which means that you end up looking at the screen off-centredly as well. It
shifts the whole view of the laptop from 'centred' to
'have-to-turn-to-look-at-the-right'.

Given that most laptops can emulate a keypad with FN+jkl or similar, unless
you're a serious spreadsheet fiend I'd say the keypad isn't worth messing up
the ergonomics for.

Theo

You could still use your desktop keyboard and monitor on almost any laptop
you buy.