Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default OTish; Laptops

On 26/04/2015 12:50, charles wrote:
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 26/04/2015 12:33, Davey wrote:
On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 12:22:26 +0100

screen card. Unlike many laptops, it has a full number keypad built in,
making spreadsheet use easy.

Ah! I hadn't thought of that. Good point.

usually you get a full keyboard with a larger screen. have a look at
what
is available at: www.ebuyer.com

Thanks. Bit confused now. These three for example. Whats the
difference between AMD Dual Core, Intel Core i3-4005U 1.7GHz and AMD
A8-7100 Quad Core?

I know they are the processors but what does that mean?

A rough and ready way to compare them is the CPU benchmark score - it is
artificial and can be gamed a bit by chip makers but it allows you some
idea of bang per buck (albeit with US prices).

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/laptop.html

Checking this page will avoid buying an overpriced lemon.

AMD Dual Core E1-6010 1.35GHz
4GB RAM + 320GB HDD

BM = 856

Intel Core i3-4005U 1.7GHz
8GB RAM + 1TB HDD

BM = 2462

AMD A8-7100 Quad Core
4GB RAM + 500GB HDD

BM = 2966

Also, I assume the one with 8GB is better and that 1TB is better than
320GB?

Generally more ram and more HD is good. 4 real cores is good too, but
you will only get optimum performance with programmes that are designed
to use all four cores efficiently (and not many are). If you do HD video
editing then it matters that you get decent fast CPU and memory but for
basic word and spreadsheets almost anything will do.

-
Regards,
Martin Brown