Posted to uk.d-i-y
Davey Davey is offline

Default OTish; Laptops

On Mon, 27 Apr 2015 10:30:32 +0100
News wrote:

I use a Toshiba netbook (NB200), and I love it. Smaller than a
proper laptop, but I can happily keep it balanced on my knee for
hours. My only concession to practicality is a plug in USB laser
mouse, because I don't like touchpads. I use the mouse on the arm of
the chair. Being fairly small, I can, and do, pick it up and take
anywhere, even the shed. Battery is old, but still good for several
hours. Can carry it easily (with mouse plugged in) with one hand.
Wifey uses both hands to carry her laptop.

I agree about touchpads. Useful when on site, but I always use a mouse
when at a desk.

Years ago, I had a Dell laptop too, with docking station at home and
office, and that really was plug and go. Slide it in, and all
connections were made - network, power, keyboard, monitor, mouse etc.
Fairly heavy to lug around, though.

I once had a company Dell, that died while I was working just
outside Buenos Aires. Although the service agreement was only for US
coverage, I met a local service tech. at my hotel, and he replaced the
motherboard right there in the lobby bar. Now that was impressive. It
was also some years ago, so might have changed.

I still have my desktop, and, at first, used that in tandem with the
netbook, but now rarely bother booting the desktop. The netbook is
slower, yes, but convenience wins. I have a mini USB 64GB stick
permanently plugged in, next to the mouse, and use that for nightly
data backups.

Since my laptop is usually on my desk, I have a Passport permanently
connected, for the same reason, and I also back up changed documents to
my CCTV desktop on my network.

--
Davey.