Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default OTish; Laptops

On 26/04/2015 13:21, Ronnie wrote:
Time has come to replace the tower PC with a laptop, so I'm after some
advice from the learned people here, since I'm a computer numpty.

I'm looking for something around 16". I don't play games (only
solitaire) I don't watch films or download music. Don't want a
touchscreen, much prefer keyboard/mouse.

I use Word & Excel frequently, sometime quite big documents. I surf the
net often & use e-mail a lot. We have 4G WiFi at home, probably won't
ever take it out, but will use upstairs in the office, on the deck &
downstairs in the lounge.

Reluctant to change from MS Windows simply because I know how to use it.

Any advice on processor type, memory, make, supplier much appreciated.

Sorry, should have said, budget around the £500 mark.

This laptop is a beast for the price. I've used this firm for years,
they are very good.
Have a peek, this one is very good value for money and within your budget.

http://www.cclonline.com/product/155...400-/NOT00530/

I have supplied quite a few of the i5 version of those to customers
recently. (£415 inc VAT if you want one Dave). They are nicely made and
seem well liked.

The only downside I have found is that I can't get spare keyboards for
them at the moment. (they are the type of design where the machine is
built onto the underside of the top plastic and the kb is an integral
part of it).

Performance and ergonomics are good. 4 USBs (2x 2.0 + 2x 3.0). Comes
with win 7 pre loaded, and the option of win 8 if you want. They really
perform well if you replace the supplied HDD with a solid state one.

--
Cheers,

John.