Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OTish; Laptops

On 26/04/2015 16:08, newshound wrote:
On 26/04/2015 13:21, Ronnie wrote:
Time has come to replace the tower PC with a laptop, so I'm after some
advice from the learned people here, since I'm a computer numpty.

I'm looking for something around 16". I don't play games (only
solitaire) I don't watch films or download music. Don't want a
touchscreen, much prefer keyboard/mouse.

I use Word & Excel frequently, sometime quite big documents. I surf the
net often & use e-mail a lot. We have 4G WiFi at home, probably won't
ever take it out, but will use upstairs in the office, on the deck &
downstairs in the lounge.

Reluctant to change from MS Windows simply because I know how to use
it.

Any advice on processor type, memory, make, supplier much appreciated.

Sorry, should have said, budget around the £500 mark.

This laptop is a beast for the price. I've used this firm for years,
they are very good.
Have a peek, this one is very good value for money and within your
budget.

http://www.cclonline.com/product/155...400-/NOT00530/

One question is whether it's going to be basically a desktop
replacement, except that you can take it into the lounge, kitchen,
bedroom or whatever.

That's exactly what it is.

If you are taking it "on the road" and potentially
rattling around in your van then as others have suggested it might be
worth considering something like a Dell business model. A bit more
robust and "modular" with more replaceable bits.

That said I have a couple of Acer "consumer" models which I use for
consultancy in retirement, and one or other of them has been travelling
with me to sites and client offices for the past year without mechanical
problems. These have 15.6 inch screens: small enough to fit in a
briefcase, big enough for visibility, separate numeric pad, and DVD
drive. If I were shopping for a "home" laptop I might get the next
screen size up. Although you can always hook it up to a bigger monitor.

Good idea, I have a bigger monitor. Ta.