Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default OTish; Laptops

On 26/04/2015 15:16, wrote:
Time has come to replace the tower PC with a laptop, so I'm after some
advice from the learned people here, since I'm a computer numpty.

I'm looking for something around 16". I don't play games (only
solitaire) I don't watch films or download music. Don't want a
touchscreen, much prefer keyboard/mouse.

I use Word & Excel frequently, sometime quite big documents. I surf the
net often & use e-mail a lot. We have 4G WiFi at home, probably won't
ever take it out, but will use upstairs in the office, on the deck &
downstairs in the lounge.

Reluctant to change from MS Windows simply because I know how to use it.

Any advice on processor type, memory, make, supplier much appreciated.

Buy an ex-corporate refurb Lenovo from tier1
http://www.tier1online.com/refurbished-laptops

I have no connection but have bought several laptops from them over the
years and have always been very pleased with the service and quality.
Lenovo bought the IBM Thinkpad brand, which is generally thought to be
the best all-round business machines (probably the cue for "angry" of
somewhere-or-other to start an arguement, but check for yourself).

I used Dells at work, with docking stations at home and in the offices.
I'd be equally happy with a Lenovo. I've never bought a factory refurb
laptop, but I have had three ex-office laser printers and two refurbed
desktops, all have proved to be reliable and excellent value for money.
All came from eBay, but the adverts/feedback suggested they were
reputable firms.

I'd endorse the point about Windows 7 rather than 8. I quite like 8.1
with touchscreen personally, but it's a bit more change and W7 just
works. You will probably hate the new versions of Word and Excel though,
assuming you are used to something like 2003.