Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default OTish; Laptops

Davey wrote:
A docking station is a device that sits on the desk and provides all
connections for the laptop, which slides into it. Most (all?) of my
laptop's connections are on the sides, which would make it tricky to
design one, though.

?
All the docking stations I've used worked with a separate, dedicated
socket on the back of the laptop rather than the connections you would
use with the freestanding laptop. Otherwise they don't offer much (if
any) advantage over plugging in keyboard, monitor, power supply and
mouse separately. And crucially you lose the benefit of saving on time
which matters to business users who want to just unplug and go.

But I query if the saving of time would justify the cost for TMH.
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid