Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default OTish; Laptops

Time has come to replace the tower PC with a laptop, so I'm after some
advice from the learned people here, since I'm a computer numpty.

I'm looking for something around 16". I don't play games (only
solitaire) I don't watch films or download music. Don't want a
touchscreen, much prefer keyboard/mouse.

I use Word & Excel frequently, sometime quite big documents. I surf the
net often & use e-mail a lot. We have 4G WiFi at home, probably won't
ever take it out, but will use upstairs in the office, on the deck &
downstairs in the lounge.

Reluctant to change from MS Windows simply because I know how to use it.

You have left it a bit late to get a new portable with Windows 7 on it
and I reckon you should look long and very hard at Windows 8 before
contemplating using it without a touch screen (or using it at all).

You might find things in the refurbed corporate kit to suit.

Do you really mean 4G Wifi? That is wifi directly connected to the 4G
mobile network via a dongle rather than via wired ADSL?

Any advice on processor type, memory, make, supplier much appreciated.

Samsung kit is quite good on the price performance scale I have their
beefy 17" as my portable and a tiny ASUS T-100 as a go anywhere device.

If you are going to use it as a desktop replacement consider a docking
station to go with it and if it isn't likely to spend too much time
being hand carried then I reckon the extra inch of screen real estate is
worth having for working large spreadsheets. YMMV

--
Regards,
Martin Brown