Posted to uk.d-i-y
Davey Davey is offline

Default OTish; Laptops

On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 12:22:26 +0100
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Time has come to replace the tower PC with a laptop, so I'm after
some advice from the learned people here, since I'm a computer numpty.

I'm looking for something around 16". I don't play games (only
solitaire) I don't watch films or download music. Don't want a
touchscreen, much prefer keyboard/mouse.

I use Word & Excel frequently, sometime quite big documents. I surf
the net often & use e-mail a lot. We have 4G WiFi at home, probably
won't ever take it out, but will use upstairs in the office, on the
deck & downstairs in the lounge.

Reluctant to change from MS Windows simply because I know how to use
it.

Any advice on processor type, memory, make, supplier much appreciated.

I am not up to date, but nearly four years ago, I bought a Samsung 15.6"
i5 64-bit quad-core laptop, and the only thing I can find against it is
that it has no indicator to tell me that NumLock is engaged. Otherwise,
it's fine, and does WiFi if I ever need it, which is rarely. It also has
Bluetooth, although I will never need that, and a built-in NVIDIA
screen card. Unlike many laptops, it has a full number keypad built in,
making spreadsheet use easy.

--
Davey.