Dave D

Default What to replace a blown voltage regulator... Cross referencing...

"Todd Nathan" wrote in message
Ok, I'm not knowledgable, but I can include an image for you to see, just
email me and I'll zap it back to you.

What makes you think it is faulty?

The legs/leads on it were melted, disconnected, and the back grounding
(assuming it is grounding) that was soldered to the mobo was burned off
and thus it was lifted off (about 2-3 mm) off the mobo. it is fried,
no question, charded mobo under it too. I figured if the caps can be
salvaged from another scrap board, and this item (whatever it is) that
was right next to the 3 caps that blew (1500uF @ 10V) and expanded, oozed
out, could be had for cheap, I can fix it myself. 1.1 Ghz cpu, IBM mobo
and components, maybe I get 'free' DVD/DivX player to go on top of TV

OK, I've looked at the photos. The Mosfet has shorted causing overvoltage on
the output of the regulator. Maybe the caps caused this, maybe the shorted
Mosfet caused the caps to go bad, who knows. One other possibility is
something downstream overstressed the Mosfet, like a bad CPU. Have you
checked the processor in another mobo?

I really think you'll have trouble sourcing that Mosfet new. You may find a
spare dead mobo with a good one, I've seen these Mosfets on countless mobos,
and subbing it, and all the faulty caps, might get you working. However, the
survival of the CPU should be checked out, and I'm not sure I'd want to put
in another CPU to test it after the repair!

BTW, I hope you cleaned that electrolyte of the mobo ASAP, it doesn't do the
traces any good!

Dave