Swizzle

Default Nintendo Gamecube Disc Read Error

All of these Gamecubes are customer returns to a major electronics chain. So
it's assumed that a lot will have a failed component of some sort. I've had
a lot of luck fixing Microsoft Xbox's with basic electronics skills (and
Playstation/Playstation 2). So I assumed I would be able to easily find the
problem. However, I've found that Nintendo systems have practically no
repair information available on the net to help me get started.

So far I've been swapping components from one system to another to get as
many working as possible. However, I would like to become more efficient in
switching only the exact component that has failed (instead of an entire
laser assembly) or hopefully repair the item by buying a part from a
distributor. While this is a hobby business I'm using it to cover the costs
for college so I could use better profit margins with increased tuition this
year

Bill

"Rufus V. Smith" wrote in message

"Swizzle" wrote in message
We recently purchased a lot of Nintendo Gamecubes and a lot are giving

us
disc read errors. The system will boot up, disc spins, and the laser

moves
and then the Gamecube will either say that there is no disc in the

machine,
or that the disc can not be read. Does anyone have any suggestions or
information on this problem? I've already cleaned the lense so it's not
just dust.

Bill

Was this an eBay-type "lot" of Gamecubes. Is this perhaps why they were
on sale? I think you've got an alignment problem or electronic problem.

Are you equipped to handle electronic issues or are you armed with just
a screwdriver and a package of lense cloths?

I've never opened one, but if possible (connectorized) I'd be inclined to
do the "field-service swap" and swap "known good" components until
it worked. Then you'd know what works and what doesn't. If you can't
repair them all, maybe you can mix and match parts to cobble together
good units out of several bad ones.

Rufus