Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred[_8_] fred[_8_] is offline

Default OT - Flash Photography

On Sunday, April 19, 2015 at 1:02:17 PM UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes, I'd agree. When I could see to take pictures, we were still using film
of course, and one did not want to waste exposures with flash illuminating
the inside of somewhere when you were actually taking the outside through a
window.

Maybe they have not read that part of the manual yet?
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...
On a couple of recent holidays to sunny places I have been amused by
people
with large expensive SLR cameras using flash to take scenic photos in
bright sunlight. (I do know about fill-in flash!)

A recent example was someone on a coach tour using a long lens and a large
accessory flash gun to take photos through the coach window on the
opposite
side to where he was sitting!

Of course many will still come out despite the flash, but most cameras
will
select a particular shutter speed when flash is deployed which may not be
the best for the circumstance where flash is not the main illumination.

Personally, I wouldn't even take a decent camera to a beach location for
fear of sand damage - I leave it at home as it is one less thing to worry
about. My pocket compact is adequate for the usual snaps taken on holiday

Its the planks with their huge white lens permanently mounted on the front of their SLR that get me. To show off, only reason they buy them I suppose.

I switched to mirrorless some years back and the day of carrying a hulking great SLR with its hulking great lenses is gone for me.

And I scream with laughter at those photography sites where the letter writers have their equipment in their sig. Sad, really sad.