Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY dentistry...!

On Monday, 20 April 2015 12:37:35 UTC+1, Thomas Prufer wrote:
On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 11:58:32 +0100, "James Harris"
wrote:

Anyone tried dental DIY? Anyone brave enough to consider it? Or is it
easier and safer, if approached responsibly, than one might imagine?

There was a chap on TV who disapproved of dentists on much the same grounds as
diy-ers disapprove of professionals, i.e. he figured he could do a better job
cheaper, and with less trouble, bunch of robbers, easy if you know how, etc.
etc.

He'd get stuff at a dentists supply, and dremeled down teeth to stumps, using a
diamond burr, added a cap of cement, and then dremelled that to tooth shape.
(Car body filler an angle grinder, pretty much). Most/all of these teeth were
removable, and stuck in place with spit or denture adhesive cream. Oh, and he'd
do little here, a little there, like fettling a model train or something.

A dentist looked at the work, pronounced it a bodge of the higest order, and
expressed amazement that the chap could eat, smile, and generally not be
completely miserable, and extra amazement at doing all this without local
anaesthetic.

Since he could eat, smile etc, it appears the dentist was wrong.

Filling without anaesthesia isn't too terrible. Mindset has a lot to do with how we handle pain, and diy pain is easier to deal with than being passively hurt, especially so once you're determined to get it done. (No, I'm not abnormally experienced heh.)

I could probably google up the TV show, but it was bad enough watching the first
time, seeing the fellow spit all his teeth out like a cartoon character...

Thomas Prufer

I'd be interesed to see it

NT