Kevin Aylward

Default Alternate treatment for depression

N. Thornton wrote:
"Kevin Aylward" wrote in message
Andrew VK3BFA wrote:

there is no clearly superior model (it would
have emerged by now if that was so)

It is interesting to see folks put so much energy into arguing that
something can't be done, instead of going and finding those who've
done it. Human nature is a curious thing. I think we are all limited
by our thinking traps. While we gradually recognise them and get free
of them, we never see and eliminate all of them by any means. And all
the discussoin in the world only occasionally changes that.

In a particular instance there is often a superior method. For
certain conditions, there are well tried methods. The issue is
determining what the cause of the problem is.

I would say the real issue was determining which approach works, and
which can be applied. The theories behind it aren't the real issue,
the results are.

This is meaningless. The idea behind finding out the true cause is to
determine what does work, i.e. to get the right results. It called
engineering. Without understanding the causes you are going to achieve
only almost the right results.

One has to accept that the brain can "malfunction" for at least two
independent reasons, either by physical processes e.g. lack of some
chemical *or* some sort of brainwashing.

To really understand the subject one also has to understand that there
is far more to it than this.

You seem to be trying a bit of one-upmanship here. It should be obvious
to anyone that I am merely giving two specific examples to illustrate
physical or environmental effects on the brain.

It don't make sense to try and
fix your allocation problem in software if the problem is a fried
memory chip, neither does it make sense to add to add 100 speed up
processors if the code is slow because of wait loops.

Thats right. Yet it is tried all the time by those who
a) dont know the causes
b) haven't gone and found out what works.

And just how do you propose one finds out the cause without doing
experiments?
And just how do you propose one finds out what works without doing
experiments?

Kevin Aylward

http://www.anasoft.co.uk
SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode
Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture,
Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.