Dave Plowman

Default AAA battery chargers

In article ,
Tim Downie wrote:
I've got a GPS gadget that uses AAA batteries in threes. I'd like to
use rechargeables but my existing charger (one of those Uniross plug
thingies) will only charge 2 or 4 batteries at a time.

Now I do have four batteries but I've had problems with using my gadget
on rechargeables (the batteries seem to expire long before they ought
to) which I suspect is due to having to pair a discharged battery with a
partially charged one for charging (NmH btw).

It could be it's designed for alkalines and the lower voltage of
rechargeables is causing an early warning - alkalines are nominally 4.5v
for three, rechargeables 3.6. And at 3.6v alkalines would be nearly flat.

Are there any AAA battery chargers that charge each battery
individually? Would it be worth investing in a discharger/charger or are
these only really useful for Nicads?

If it were an external battery pack, using all four would give nearer the
correct voltage.

--
*Snowmen fall from Heaven unassembled*

Dave Plowman London SW 12