Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris J Dixon Chris J Dixon is offline

Default OT; Customers....

Tim Watts wrote:

TBH I might just switch the taps - these ones have a fault - actually 2
faults.

1) The have zero spout underhang, so water tracks back along them and
pools around the tap and back of the bath which is annoying.

2) The splines are a bit weak - I already had problems with the kids
being too rough with the basin tap (same type) and burring the spines so
the handle became sloppy.

My most frustrating tap encounter was a couple of houses (and
about 40 years) ago, but still memorable. I replaced a pair of
pillar taps for the kitchen sink, which were mounted on the
worktop.

When I bought them I was also sold a pair of adaptors.

The initial problem was that the thread on the new taps was too
short to project beyond the worktop. As the pre-formed worktop
turned out to have ply on top of chipboard, I simply (!) chipped
away the chipboard layer to produce a counterbore. This was not
fun, but achieved the objective.

Then all I had to do was manage to get the joints leak free, the
taps pointing in the right direction and firmly secured. This
took quite a few attempts, with much to-ing and fro-ing to the
stop taps.

It was only when I next washed up, with kitchen bowl in place,
that I realised I had never actually considered the projection of
the spout, relative to the mounting hole. The nice tight jet of
water was aimed straight at the edge of the bowl, and I was
drenched.

Pragmatism ruled - I just pared off the rim of the bowl, and all
was well. A similar mod was done to any replacement.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.