Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johnny B Good Johnny B Good is offline

Default Decent Digital Multimeter for DIY?

On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 22:57:11 +0000, Cursitor Doom wrote:

On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 10:52:08 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

On Sunday, 12 April 2015 18:37:09 UTC+1, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 03:47:08 -0700, nt wrote:

Well you can't really blame me. Your description is a bit vague, after
all: "string of 3w resistors, bit of coathanger, bit of polystyrene."

With your experience/expertise I'd expect you to have no difficulty
seeing how that works. Ditto for anyone that would know how to use such
a thing safely.

I think I can see where you're coming from with your string of
resistors,
but the role of the coat-hanger and poly remains unclear. I'm not a
mind-
reader.

A low impedance load can hardly be a gold standard for measuring a
normally high impedance voltage.

I was of course referring to the gold standard for moving coil meters.

I suppose my half century old Japanese moving coil multimeter with its
50K ohm per volt sensitivity rating must have been made to the Platinum
Standard then. :-)

--
Johnny B Good