Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Decent Digital Multimeter for DIY?

In article , Capitol
scribeth thus
wrote:
On Sunday, 12 April 2015 18:37:09 UTC+1, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 03:47:08 -0700, nt wrote:

Well you can't really blame me. Your description is a bit vague, after
all: "string of 3w resistors, bit of coathanger, bit of
polystyrene."

With your experience/expertise I'd expect you to have no difficulty seeing how

that works. Ditto for anyone that would know how to use such a thing safely.

"Engineering" seems rather a grand term for such a sloppy sounding lash-
up.

Not sloppy at all, just basic engineering

upto anything at all if it has enough current delivery. 20 k per v is
too often too low of course.

It was the 'gold standard' 50 years ago when this meter was made! Anyhoo,

A low impedance load can hardly be a gold standard for measuring a normally

high impedance voltage. Electrometers would seem better suited, or a VVM. Or
even an electrostatic deflection CRT, if one's lab is so equipped.

as I said I keep a couple of modern DVMs with much higher input impedances
so if lack of grunt on the part of the DUT is a problem I can just use
one of them.

NT

Electrometers were used to 50KV for TV measurements.

I bet theres one hanging around in your shed /shack /office
somewhere;?..

Last one I saw was made by Pye instruments in Cambridge, and that was a
long time ago now;!.

Sort of moving spot light on a scale it was..
--
Tony Sayer