Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cursitor Doom[_4_] Cursitor Doom[_4_] is offline

Default Decent Digital Multimeter for DIY?

On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 16:49:51 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Cursitor Doom wrote:
Last week I picked up a used but in perfect condition high voltage
probe made by AVO. When used in conjunction with my good 'ol British
AVO ***ANALOGUE*** meter, I can now measure voltages of up to 32kV.
Try doing that with one of your BnQ ten quid specials.

Pretty useless for measuring things like CRT HT, though. Input impedance
is too low. A similar probe on a 2 quid DVM will be fine. ;-)

Yeah, go pick on something that has like microscopic source impedance why
don'tcha?
Please note: I still keep a couple of DVMs and the really important thing
is the ***PROBE*** - and having the balls to use it at 32kV (which TBH I
must admit I don't have). But it is *well* out of DIY range, let's face
it.