Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Decent Digital Multimeter for DIY?

On Saturday, 11 April 2015 15:47:53 UTC+1, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 15:05:18 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
On Saturday, 11 April 2015 00:44:16 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
nt wrote:
On Friday, 10 April 2015 19:10:36 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article
,

These days almost any multimeter is good enough for diy. Just
dont use some of them north of the CU's fuses, for that you
need a suitable category rating.

Having had a quite expensive DVM blow up on mains, I'll not use
one for that any more. Have a proper mains test stick one for
that - more convenient too.

BTW, no more volts 'north of the CU' in the average UK house
anyway. ;-)

Its the i squared t that's the problem

You using jump leads instead of test leads?

Are you unfamiliar with how multimeters can kill people?

All too familiar which is why I won't use one on mains. ;-) There are
far better designed devices designed specifically for this job.

Last week I picked up a used but in perfect condition high voltage probe
made by AVO. When used in conjunction with my good 'ol British AVO
***ANALOGUE*** meter, I can now measure voltages of up to 32kV.
Try doing that with one of your BnQ ten quid specials.

that's easy. string of 3w resistors, bit of coathanger, bit of polystyrene. BTDT.

NT